In May 2016, our County Commissioners took part in a facilitated discussion to determine guiding principles for use of the BP funds awarded to Pinellas County. They did so after conducting a citizen engagement survey and receiving public feedback from more than 800 citizens on how the funds should be spent.
The Board gathered ideas through a second survey in June 2016. See survey results .
In July 2016, the Board received public feedback on the use of BP settlement funds. Dozens of residents shared insights and input for projects countywide.
Projects and associated funding were approved by the Board in December 2016. On April 24, 2018, funding originally allocated to the Historic Lincoln Cemetery Memorial Rehab project was reallocated to the Winning Reading Boost project at the request of the funding recipient. As of Spring 2018, several projects have been completed. County staff continue to work with partners to move other listed projects forward.
Guiding Principles for BP Settlement Funding:
- Funded projects should be aligned with the BCC’s Doing Things Strategic Plan and should be planned or funded by December 31, 2017.
- BP funds will be used for one-time only expenditures that have a substantial and visible community Impact.
- Funded projects should support Pinellas’ economic and environmental sustainability and/or create a sense of place.
- Unincorporated area projects throughout the county will be given priority.
- Use of County funding for projects within a city will require city participation.
About the BP Settlement Funds:
The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill impacted the economy of the entire Gulf Coast. As a result of those damages, local governments, including Pinellas County, filed suit against the oil rig operator, British Petroleum. In July 2015, the county accepted a settlement from BP of $7.1 million after attorney’s fees and other expenses. The settlement represents a one-time revenue source; after these funds are expended, there will not be any additional related money. The Board of County Commissioners values citizen input on this unique funding source.
Meetings and Work Sessions:
- BCC Workshop / Facilitated Discussion